Saturday, January 28, 2017

Return to Washington Park, Indian Tree G.C. & S. Platte River

January 28, 2017

Richard Stevens:

Rebecca Kosten and I headed to Washington Park (Denver County) at 8:00 am.  Temperatures reached 48 degrees today; winds were 7-8 mph with gusts to 16 mph.

Unlike my hour and a half unsuccessful search yesterday for the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, it was found in less than 15 minutes today!  The sapsucker stayed high in tree #5.  Now and then, it moved into the open and allowed nice looks!

In the afternoon, I went back out on my own.  The Brant and Greater White-fronted Goose were easy to see southeast of the Indian Tree Golf Course clubhouse (Jefferson).

The rest of my afternoon, I walked the South Platte River from 74th avenue to 88th avenue (Adams).  A female Barrow's Goldeneye was just downstream of the 78th avenue bridge.  A male was farther south, just downstream of the green and white tower.

I searched two locations where Greater Yellowlegs were reported along the Platte River last week; without success.

No comments: