Tuesday, January 3, 2017

First Trip to Aurora Reservoir 2017

January 2, 2017

Richard Stevens:

Temperature reached 50 degrees today.  With winds 12+ mph, it felt cold as I walked to Aurora Reservoir from the southeastern entrance.  Today was a repeat of the birds I observed on December 27.

Both Senac and Lone Tree Coves were almost completely ice covered.  Two adult Thayer's Gulls were on the ice at Senac Cove.  Most of the uncommon gulls were deep in Lone Tree Cove.

At the southern end of Lone Tree Cove, I counted three Thayer's Gulls, three Lesser Black-backed Gulls, the Great Black-backed Gull and the Mew Gull.

When I scoped the lake from the bench at mile 2.5, I added a Glaucous Gull, Long-tailed Duck, Common Loon and two White-winged Scoters. 

On 12/27, I had the impression that two Glaucous Gulls might be out there.  Another birder did report two on 12/31.  Today I only found one.

The southern gates now close at 5:30 pm.  Northern entrance is open until 6:00 pm!

No comments: