Monday, January 30, 2017

Loveland Pass, Silverthorne & Rocky Mountain Arsenal

January 29, 2017

Richard Stevens:

California birder Paul Olsen and I headed to the mountains today.  Anyone who has tried to drive up I70 on a Sunday knows you need to go before 6:00 am and definitely return before Noon because of traffic.  Loveland Pass had been closed the last two days because of snowstorms; we had no choice but to go today.

We found two White-tailed Ptarmigan below the western side of the Loveland Pass Summit before many skiers or tourists arrived.

Later we visited a friend's home and saw three species of Rosy Finches and other mountain species.  My friend has asked me not to advertize his address.

A brief stop at the Blue River Water Treatment Plant (Summit) found six Barrow's Goldeneyes swimming about.

After dropping Paul off at DIA, I walked the First Creek Trail (Denver).  The spot where the Harris's Sparrow has been seen during my last two visits was today trampled down by a car and horses.

A flock of 16 White-crowned Sparrows, 2 Song Sparrows, 10 Dark-eyed Juncos and 4 House Finches was on and below the hill just east of the Light Rail tracks.  I did not find the Harris's Sparrow among them.  This was I first encountered the Harris's Sparrow back on December 5, 2016.

My last stop was the Rocky Mountain Arsenal (Adams).  I walked the Legacy Trail searching for owls in the evergreen trees.  No Barn Owls were observed today.  A Long-eared Owl was found in the New Mexico Locust trees south of the trail (scoped from between the third and fourth evergreen tree west of the closed trail sign.

A Great Horned Owl called from behind the old Visitor's Center (now called Contact Station).

No comments: