Saturday, December 3, 2016

Return to Cherry Creek and Aurora Reservoirs

December 3, 2016

Richard Stevens:

Most of my day was expended assisting a friend move.  I did go by Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe County) on the trip home.

The Rusty Blackbirds were back close to the only picnic table at the northeast corner of the lake.  Several hundred Ring-billed Gulls, no Mew Gull, were on the Pelican Point sand spit.

A check on the gulls at the southwest marina did not find the Mew Gull either.  One Thayer's Gull and the Glaucous Gull stood on the poles outlining the marina. 

NOTE: After checking photos taken yesterday of the hundreds of gulls on the poles, the Glaucous Gull was photographed among them.  At the time, I was focused on locating the Mew Gull and skipped over the Glaucous Gull as a light Herring Gull.

I attempted to make it to Aurora Reservoir (Arapahoe) to search for the Long-tailed Duck reported earlier in the day.  It was too dark to see much by the time I arrived.  I could pick out the three White-winged Scoters southeast of the swim beach.

No comments: