Saturday, December 10, 2016

Dunlin at Cherry Creek Reservoir

December 10, 2016

Richard Stevens:

I was not planning on birding today.  Gorgeous day with temperatures in the middle 50s; winds were 4-6 mph.

I have a relative staying close by Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe); it was only a four mile detour and of course, I found myself at the reservoir around 3:00 pm.  It was a fortunate choice.

A check of the gulls at the southwest marina area and surrounding ice shelf found one adult Thayer's Gull, some Herring Gulls, a dozen or so California Gulls and many Ring-billed Gulls.

Most of the uncommon gulls were found yesterday at nearby Aurora Reservoir (about 8 miles to the east).

I thought to check the northeastern corner of the lake where the Rusty Blackbirds had been found for a week.  However, they had not been reported since last Wednesday and they were not found by me today.

Three Killdeer walked below the picnic table along the northeast corner.  A smaller shorebird accompanied them.  It was the previously reported Dunlin. 

I sat down on the wet sand and waited.  The Dunlin walked within ten feet of me!  My wet cold pants were well worth the price of observing a Dunlin so close!  All my previous sightings were from 40-50 or more yards away.

Photos were put on the Colorado Birding Society's Photo Library:
http://coloradobirdingsociety.net

Several adult Bald Eagles circled overhead while I watched the Dunlin.

No comments: