Thursday, June 2, 2016

Rocky Mountain Arsenal

June 1, 2016

Richard Stevens:

Rebecca Kosten and I returned to Rocky Mountain Arsenal (Adams) on this wet morning.  Winds were 6 mph, gusts to 10 mph (at times).

The Eastern Phoebe was gathering food along the canal that crosses 6th Street, just west of Potomac.  We assumed "he" then went to feed another bird on a nest.  We saw no young yet.

The long walk to the Rod & Gun Club bird blind added a female or immature male American Redstart to our day list.  The many sparrows around were those expected.

Later I drove to Castlewood Canyon.  Three male Bobolinks wandered the field south of the Winkler Ranch entrance.  I could not pick out a female.

Western Bluebirds out numbered Mountain Bluebirds along Castlewood Canyon Road between Lake Gulch Road and Castlewood Canyon State Park.

Finally, after three attempts, I found an Ovenbird along the inner trail.  Two Common Nighthawks flew overhead!

I visited a friend near the State Park; however, no Northern Saw-whet Owls were heard from his property.  Later, one Northern Saw-whet Owl was heard calling as I drove through the park on my way home.

No comments: