Thursday, June 2, 2016

Barr Lake In the Rain

May 27, 2016

Richard Stevens:

I returned to Barr Lake (Adams) and walked around for six hours.  It was one of the slower birding days I have experienced (especially considering the amount of time spent there). 

It did rain off and on during my whole trip.  Usually I have good fortune when it is raining, not today.

Nothing uncommon was found during my walks from mile 9.0 to 7.0, 0.0 to 1.0 and 2.0 to 4.0.

The meager highlights included four Barn Owls. 

Common birds included Western Wood-pewees, Western Kingbirds, House Wrens, a couple of Eastern Kingbirds, two Swainson's Thrushes and Downy Woodpeckers. 

Still no Baltimore Orioles have been reported this spring.  I did hear a male Bullock's Oriole that was singing like a Baltimore Oriole.  Will have to look up if the two orioles learn each other's songs.

A male Osprey came by and gave fish to a female on the nesting platform.  I do not believe they take turns lying on the eggs (if there are any yet).

In the end, the lightning and thunder convinced me to leave.

No comments: