Tuesday, January 26, 2016

A Little Birding Before the Snowstorm

January 25, 2016

Richard Stevens:

While doing chores I detoured over to Crown Hill Park (Jefferson).  Well, if you can call a 40 mile (one way) side trip a detour that is?  Temperatures only reached the middle 40s today; winds were 10 mph, gusts to 14 mph. 

The previous reported Glaucous Gull was near the open water at the east end of the Crown Hill Lake when I arrived.  Soon after a group of gulls flew to the southeast.  Later I relocated the Glaucous Gull at the eastern end of Sloan's Lake.

I stopped by Stites Park along Newland Street (less than half a mile north of 2596 Newland where the Carolina Wren was around for a month).  The Carolina Wren was not found.  I saw no cover for a wren and would not expect it to return.

I passed through Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe) on my way home.  By now, it was snowing and was quite foggy.  No uncommon waterfowl or gulls were found.  Gulls numbered less than 50. 

On the other hand, Bald Eagles numbered eleven!

I skipped Aurora & Quincy Reservoirs (Arapahoe) because the fog and snow was getting thicker.  Visibility was poor when I drove the DIA Owl Loop (Adams).  No Short-eared Owls were observed this evening.

No comments: