Sunday, September 20, 2015

Detour to Cherry Creek Reservoir, Arapahoe County

September 19, 2015

Richard Stevens:

I got a late start today.  I started out for Chatfield Reservoir (reports of Sabine's Gulls & Red Phalarope).  When I got halfway at around 4:30 pm, I225 and I25, traffic was a nightmare.  Instead, I exited the highway and detoured to Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe).

A walk up the Butterfly Hill trail found seven Say's Phoebes and 2-3 Sage Thrashers.  Yesterday's Eastern Phoebe was not found.  Several dozen American Goldfinches also flew around.

Over at the Smoky Hill Group Picnic area on the north side of the reservoir, twenty two Yellow-rumped Warblers were in the three pines east of the restroom.  Later I watched another sixteen Yellow-rumped Warblers, two Orange-crowned Warblers, two Wilson's Warblers and a Townsend's Warbler fly about the locust trees on the west side of the picnic area.

No comments: