Monday, September 28, 2015

Birding Around Denver

September 27, 2015

Richard Stevens:

A record high 89 degrees temperature was set today.  Winds were 8+ mph on this hot and sunny day.

I started out at Sloan's Lake (Denver County) hoping to add a Bobolink to my Denver County list.  Yesterday's bird could not be found.

About an hour was spent at Heron Pond Wildlife Refuge (Adams).  The morning heated up quickly.  The few birds found included five Snowy Egrets.  Last week's Green Heron was not located.  The highlight was a Cassin's Vireo along the creek/inlet canal about 500 yards south of the pond.

On the way home, I stopped at Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe) and Aurora Reservoir (Arapahoe).  No uncommon gulls or terns were found at either.

I pass through the DIA Owl Loop on the way home.  Two Burrowing Owls remain at Trussville Road and 114th avenue (Adams) and four were along Gun Club Road about 0.5 miles south of 112th avenue.

Barr Lake (Adams) was my finally stop.  No uncommon passerines were found when I walked to the banding area.  The Niedrach trail was birdless also.  Out on the lake, half a dozen Bonaparte's Gulls and a Common Tern flew northwest of the trail.

I returned to the Owl Loop; no Short-eared Owls appeared at dusk.

No comments: