Friday, September 11, 2015

Cherry Creek Reservoir Warbler Flock

September 11, 2015

Richard Stevens:

After spending most of the day doing chores and answering emails, I had to get out and enjoy the beautiful day.  Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe County) was not far from one of my stops.  I savored an hour walking around the Smoky Hill picnic area and Reservoir swim beach.

A flock of warblers circling the area included 28 Yellow-rumped, 2 Orange-crowned, 2 Wilson's, 2 Yellow and at least three Townsend's Warblers.  They jumped from locust tree to locust tree, and then went for the pines northeast of the restrooms.

No identifiable vireos were in the mix.  One House Wren fluttered about the shorter bushes at the western side of the group picnic area. 

I encountered one additional bird that I am not reporting publicly. I was standing by a small bush waiting for one of the Townsend's Warblers to come out in the open for a photo op.  A small grayish bird came into sight twice for about 5 seconds each time.  It looked much like a Bell's Vireo.  

It was a grayish bird with rounded head, weak wingbars and a long tail.  Definitely, it was not a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.  I am almost sure it was a Bell's Vireo.  With only one other Bell's Vireo record for Arapahoe County (Stevens, 5/19/2015) I will wait to see if anyone relocates the bird on Saturday's Fall Count.  I eventually lost the bird in the bushes along the lakeshore southeast of the group picnic area.

No comments: