Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Wonderful Hike at Aurora Reservoir and Return to Cherry Creek Reservoir

December 24, 2014

Richard Stevens:

I celebrated this fantastic Colorado winter day by walking the 8.7 mile trail circling Aurora Reservoir (Arapahoe County).  Conditions were quite different than yesterday's 24+ mph winds.  Winds were calm and temperatures were in the high 40s.

Highlights included the Glaucous Gull, two Lesser Black-backed Gulls, and three Thayer's Gulls.  Hundreds of Ring-billed Gulls, dozens of California Gulls and Herring Gulls were also around the lake.  Several Ross's Geese were among the thousands of White-cheeked Geese; however, I did not pick out a Greater White-fronted Goose today.

I then drove the 8 miles to Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe) hoping to confirm a second Glaucous Gull in the area.  Unfortunately, I did not find any uncommon gulls among the few gulls at the reservoir.  I did relocate the White-winged Scoter that has been around since at least 11/20.  Bob Righter found it earlier in the day.  Another highlight was a adult female type Long-tailed Duck.  She was just 15 feet off the parking area at the northeast marina.  Of course, I did not have my camera.  Never fails, I carry it for days and never take a photo.  Then when I need it, ....................

I continued enjoying the beautiful day with a drive around the DIA Owl Loop.  Calm and mild winds floated a serene feeling over the rolling hills west and north of the airport.  Five Northern Harriers glided low over the fields.  Unfortunately, no Short-eared Owls appeared tonight.

Eventually I had to return home to the noisy ruckos of Christmas.

No comments: