Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Search for a possible Slaty-backed Gull

Janury 2, 2014

Richard Stevens:

I made it out to Aurora Reservoir this morning.  Nothing uncommon was at the swim beach area so I walked the dam.  Several Snow Geese, a Ross's Goose and Greater White-fronted Goose were below.  Most of the gulls were too far away to identify (looking into the sun).

A return to the swim beach cove did not find any uncommon birds.  A Black Scoter way off near the distant shoreline caught my attention.  Then I went to lunch.  After lunch, a return to the swim beach was productive.

This time the gulls there included a Great Black-backed Gull, three Lesser Black-backed Gulls and two Thayer's Gulls. 

I moved to the picnic area north of the swim beach.  While searching for the Black Scoter I noticed the Gull being reported as an adult Slaty-backed Gull swimming in cove that was not visible while I was standing farther south.

No comments: