Monday, May 16, 2011

Return to Denver Area

May 14, 2011

Richard Stevens:

After returning from a nine day grouse trip, I wanted to treat myself at one of my favorite restaurants and drove toward Morrison.

I thought to give the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher a shot south of Marston Reservoir. However, because of the rain I decided to scope the southwest corner of the lake from the southeast side (Bow Mar Drive). Distance was too far to see many birds along the west side. A couple of Black Terns flew over the reservoir.

While scoping the lake, I noticed 58 Western Tanagers flying around the bushes along Bow Mar Drive. While taking photos, I discovered a Palm Warbler in the cottonwoods between Ridge Trail Road and Yellowstone Street. The warbler was in the yard with the large white dog. It slowing moved toward Tina Jones' home for those who know where that is.

I then drove over to West Layton Road and scoped the fence south of the Wildlife Area. The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher was hawking insects during a stoppage period in the rain.

Before eating dinner, I stopped at Red Rocks Park (Jefferson) for the last 1.5 hours of daylight. None of the uncommon Zonotrichia sparrows or the Curve-billed Thrasher appeared.

I did see 12+ male and 4+ female Lazuli Buntings, 2 Green-tailed Towhees, at least 9 Spotted Towhees, 5 male Black-headed Grosbeaks, 2 White-crowned Sparrows, 1 Song Sparrow, many Dark-eyed Juncos, House Finches and Brown-headed Cowbirds.

Morrison Inn as always had great food!

No comments: