Saturday, March 7, 2009

Birding in Larimer & Boulder Counties

March 6, 2009

Richard Stevens:

Tom Warring and I met at Wellington Wildlife Area (Larimer County) about an hour before sunrise. No Short-eared Owls were found flying around this morning. We walked the windbreak just before sunrise and found 2 Long-eared Owls hidden in the evergreens.

We met up again at Swede Lake (Exit 262 of I25). It was fortunate that we parked along the western service road and about 50 yards north of Larimer County Road 32. While we scoped the whole lake, a flock of about 10 American Wigeons and the male Eurasian Wigeon were observed in a finger of the lake that could only be seen from our vantage point. Ten yards either direction and we were have missed the ducks. They swam in and out of the cove several times; eventually we lost them against the southern shore. I do not believe the cove could be seen from CR 32.

Tom had to leave for work and I decided to drive over to nearby Fossil Creek Reservoir. When I arrived a flock of 100+ White-cheeked Geese and 7+ Greater White-fronted Geese were along the south shore of Fossil Creek Reservoir. Winds were predicted to get quite strong today. However in my experience, if one gets out early, there are still an hour or two of calm before the storm on windy days.

When the geese saw my car, they flew to the field (backyard) of a house at the northeast corner of the lake. Scoping the lake from the broken pier (soon to be taken down) did not find the previously reported scoter.

In the end, I hiked both the Cattail and Sandpiper Trails. Cattails, the eastern trail allowed a limited view of Swede Lake. Unfortunately the sun was to the east which made it impossible to relocate the Eurasian Wigeon. No uncommon ducks were seen at this end.

Along Sandpiper, the western trail a Northern Harrier stood on one of the perches provided by the park. From the western end I again did not see a scoter, but found 2 Greater Scaup among many Redheads and a dozen Lesser Scaup.

Quite a few additional ducks were far out along the northern shore and left unidentified. The scoter could still be out there.

I worked my way south stopping at Donath Lake, Boyd Lake State Park, Horseshoe Lake, and Lake Loveland. The only uncommon Gull found was an adult Thayer's Gull swimming in the southeast corner of Horseshoe Lake (directly west of Boyd Lake State Park).

While I waited for Tom to finish some work he had in Loveland I continued south into Boulder County in search of the previously reported Mew Gulls. The six swans were still at Baxter Lake. Winds were gaining power which made looking through my scope difficult. I thought the swans had large bills, long necks, and a deeply sloped nape; all indications of Trumpeter Swans to me.

Nothing unusual was found at Ish Reservoir. No Mew Gulls were at Jim Hamm Park. I did find my first Tree Swallow and California Gull of the year. The six previously reported American White Pelican were also at Jim Hamm Park. By now, winds had picked up to 21+ mph with gusts to 32 mph. No uncommon gulls were found at Union Reservoir (Weld) across County Line Road from Jim Hamm Park.

Walden Ponds (Boulder) was also quiet. Boulder Reservoir did not add anything uncommon to my trip list.

Back at Loveland I met up with Tom and we headed to Fort Collins and Rist Canyon in search of Northern Pygmy-Owls. None were found in the now roaring winds. We had planned on driving up to Pennock Pass just to checkout conditions (snow?, open or closed roads) and then continue to Cameron Pass for Boreal Owls. With the predicted advancing snowstorm and high winds it was decided that such a trek would be useless and we turned for Denver and home.

No comments: