Thursday, September 6, 2007

A quick trip to Wheat Ridge Greenbelt

September 5, 2007

I went over to Wheat Ridge Greenbelt before crashing (owling all night). There were few birds around. I did relocate the Plumbeous Vireo that Terry Michaels reported yesterday. A few Song Sparrows were just about all I found. Another search for the Mourning Warbler (reported last Thursday) was a bust. A Broad-tailed Hummingbird buzzed by my ear (the highlight for the morning).

I slept most of the afternoon. No owling tonight!

During the last hour before sunset, I drove the DIA Owl Loop. Hope was that a Short-eared Owl would come out and hunt before dark; none did. It was raining during the whole drive, so I abandoned the idea of walking the east side of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal (Buckley Road).

Burrowing Owls were out at:
3.4 miles east of 96th avenue & Tower Road
0.2 miles north of Tower Road & 56th avenue

Powhaton Road & 128th avenue

No comments: