Friday, September 21, 2007

Birding Around Denver on Thursday

September 20, 2007

I birded around Denver. What a beautiful fall day! The smell and feel of "cool" was in the air.

At Barr Lake (Adams) I met up with Gary Weston and we found a Wood Thrush at the southeast corner of the Niedrach Boardwalk Loop. While watching it, we also observed a Cassin's Vireo, Plumbeous Vireo, 5 Wilson's Warblers, and a Hermit Thrush.

Gary had to leave, but I continued north along the main trail/road to the boat ramp at mile marker 7.5. This was with 3 layers of Deet on, for mosquito protection. Along the way, I counted 19 Wilson's Warblers, 2 Orange-crowned Warblers, another Hermit Thrush, 1 House Wren, 1 Spotted Towhee, and another Plumbeous Vireo.

The best bird was a Nashville Warbler at mm 8.3. He was hiding under the trees at the south end of the large clearing north of the banding area.

I then drove the DIA Owl Loop where I saw 3 Burrowing Owls at the 3.4 miles east of Tower Road and 96th avenue site. Later another 2 Burrowing Owls were found at 0.2 miles north of Tower Road and 56th avenue. A Loggerhead Shrike was perched on the fence at the northeast corner of the power plant at Powhaton and 128th avenue.

The Star Ranch Open Space (Arapahoe) was pretty quiet. A late Western Kingbird and a pair of Downy Woodpeckers were just about all I found (except for many mosquitoes).

Bluff Lake Nature Area (Denver) was similarly quiet. A lone Western Wood-pewee was all I saw (and many additional mosquitoes).

I ended my birding day at Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe). I hoped that a few of the Sabine's Gulls would be closer to the dam and I could get a photo or two. I did get one shot, however most of the Sabine's Gulls stayed several hundred yards off the dam. There were at least 4, perhaps 5 Sabine's Gulls there.

The trees at the Smoky Hill group picnic area were quiet, bird wise.
I scoped the eastern sand spit from the jet ski rental area. There were many American White Pelicans, 3 Great Egrets, 11 Snowy Egrets, and a few Killdeer.

At the Cottonwood Loop wetlands pond, 6 adult and 2 immature Black-crowned Night-Herons waited for food to swim by. No Green Herons or Red-necked Grebes, I did see a pair of Pied-billed Grebes.

I enjoyed better success from the north end of the Lake Loop. Here I could see 8+ Red-necked Phalaropes and the Red Phalarope. The Red Phalarope stayed a little off to himself, but was in the same vicinity.

A couple of Great Blue Herons stood on the telephone poles in the water around the southwest marina.

No comments: