Thursday, September 27, 2007

Another Search for Arapahoe County Jaegers

September 27, 2007

I went out early this morning to check Arapahoe County reservoirs for jaegers and gulls. I found a Sabine's Gull at the swim beach area of Aurora Reservoir. No jaegers at Aurora, Quincy, or Cherry Creek Reservoirs.

I started my day at Powhaton Road and 128th avenue. No Short eared Owls or Burrowing Owls. The Short eared Owls sometimes fly along the tree line that is many hundred yards to the northwest. I have not seen Burrowing Owls here in my last two trips.

There are still 3-5 Burrowing Owls at 3.4 miles east of Tower Road & 96th avenue.

I past by now and then trying to get a last date for them.
In 2005 & 2006 it was 10/14.
Latest 10/20 in 2001.

In the late afternoon, I drove down to Castlewood Canyon State Park (Douglas). A couple of White-breasted Nuthatches flew around the trail down to the gazebo overlook. Two White-crowned Sparrows were in the bushes below.

The Winkler Ranch (along Castlewood Canyon Road) had the most birds: 9 Vesper Sparrows, 1 Lincoln's Sparrow, 2 Song Sparrows, and a Savannah Sparrow. Bobolinks and Dickcissels are long gone now. A lone Loggerhead Shrike stood on the telephone wires near Lake Gulch Road and Castlewood Canyon Road. The bluebird count is dropping; only 5 Mountain Bluebirds and a pair of Western Bluebirds were observed today.

I listened for Northern Saw-whet Owls after sunset and beyond for about an hour. No "talkers" tonight. I played a recording around the subdivision to the west; again no a sound.

No comments: