Monday, January 6, 2020

Second Day of 2020 Birding

January 2, 2020

Transcript of Richard Stevens' email:

I enjoyed a busy day adding to my 2020 bird list.

First stop was Lake Arbor (Jefferson) where the Brant was hunkered down among many White-cheeked Geese.  I did not see the Greater White-fronted Goose.

In Morrison, I sat for about an hour before the Golden-crowned Sparrow appeared below the feeders along Summer Street (Jefferson).  Other birds included Western Scrub-Jays, Mountain Chickadees and Dark-eyed Juncos.

The Pacific Wren was at Bear Creek Lake Park.  Fortunately, several other birders had the wren stalked out when I arrived.

From there I passed the Carolina Wren spot in Centennial (Arapahoe).  It did not appear during the hour stay.

My final stop of the day was Aurora Reservoir (Arapahoe).  I almost did not get out of the park in time as the southern gate closed at 5:00 pm.  I arrived back at 4:55 pm.

Done at the Lake, two Lesser Black-backed Gulls and two Iceland Gulls stood on the shore near mile 2.5.  From the bench here, I could see the Yellow-billed Loon, the Pacific Loon and three Common Loons!  The Red-necked Grebe (12/31) was not found.

No comments: