Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Adams County

January 15, 2020

Richard Stevens:

Rebecca and I birded in Adams County today.  The high temperature was 46 degrees.  Winds were 16-17 mph with gusts to 28 mph.

The Lesser Black-backed Gull was back on the ice at Lake Ladora, Rocky Mountain Arsenal.

The Long-tailed Duck was swimming in the open water on East Gravel Lake.  Susan Rosine reported it yesterday on Dahlia Pond; however, the sign on the dam tower states East Gravel Lake.

I first saw it on East Gravel Lake on 12/18.  I believed it to be the Long-tailed Duck reported by Scott Somershoe 12/16/2019 on the pond near the Dog Hearing Training Center, just north of Dahlia Pond & 88th avenue.

We then walked the South Platte Birding Area from 88th avenue to Steele Street.  The pair of Barrow's Goldeneyes continues on the South Platte River, just upstream of the green/white tower.

After dropping Rebecca at home, I drove to Aurora Reservoir (Arapahoe).   I walked down from the south side to the bench near mile 2.5.  Eventually I found the Yellow-billed Loon, two Common Loons and the Pacific Loon.

Later entering from the north side, I found one of the Lesser Black-backed Gulls below the lower parking area pavilion.

No Short-eared Owls appeared this evening along the DIA Owl Loop.  I was parked at 88th avenue just east of the toll road bridge.

I put photos of both Lesser Black-backed Gulls on the Colorado Birding Society's photo library:
coloradobirdingsociety.net

Photos of the Long-tailed Duck and Barrow's Goldeneyes are posted on the "recent witness photos" link

No comments: