Monday, January 6, 2020

Birding Arapahoe County

December 31, 2019

Transcript of Richard Stevens' email:

I spent three hours at the Arapahoe County Carolina Wren spot.  I found no Carolina Wren.

Then I worked my way to Aurora Reservoir by way of Cherry Creek Reservoir.  The Reservoir was 90 percent ice covered and mostly White-cheeked Geese and Ring-billed Gulls were seen.

Quincy Reservoir was 95 percent ice covered.  Again only White-cheeked Geese and Ring-billed Gull were observed.

Aurora Reservoir was more interesting.  The Yellow-billed Loon swam off mile 4.5.  A Common Loon was at the mouth of Lonetree Cove.  A Red-necked Grebe was swimming in the scuba bay.

A large white bird flew from Lonetree Cove to the swim beach.  I tried to make it out as a swan; however, it turned out to be a lone American White Pelican.

Gulls included three Lesser Black-backed, two Iceland, a dozen Herring, two California and hundreds of Ring-billed.

I will try at add them to my 2020 list on Thursday.  Aurora Reservoir is closed on New Years Day.

No comments: