Friday, November 29, 2019

Southeastern Trip

November 25-27, 2019

Richard Stevens:

A big storm storm was the forecast for Denver.  I chose to drive to Baca County where the storm was predicted to miss.  Later I found out that DIA received over 9 inches of snow.  I did not see snow until driving highway 25 north of Trinidad!  My trip was quite enjoyable and snow free!

November 25

High temperature was 53 degrees near La Junta.  Winds blew at 16-17 mph with gusts to 23 mph.  

I arrived at Vogel Canyon Recreation Area shortly after Noon.  Not many birds can be expected this time of year.  A Say's Phoebe sang its "pweer pee ee" from the parking area.

A hike down the trail found a Rufous-crowned Sparrow running along the rocky hillside along the Canyon Trail.  I continued down the loop, Canyon, Prairie & Mesa Trails.  Other interesting birds discovered along the loop included three wrens (Bewick's, Rock & Canyon).

The highlight was a Greater Roadrunner running behind the ruins at the parking area when I returned to my car.  A flock of four Mountain Bluebirds flew along the drive back out of the canyon.

Later I drove down CR 804 (Higbee Cemetery Road).  While it was late in the year to find a Black-throated Sparrow, Late sighting dates include 11/10 & 11/23.

A male Ladder-backed Woodpecker and a Lincoln's Sparrow fluttered about the Cemetery.  A Rufous-crowned Sparrow was found farther down the road.  Nothing else uncommon was found on the drive to the end of CR 804.

My route to Cottonwood Canyon (Baca) was by way of Carrizo Mountain.  Another Greater Roadrunner and Rufous-crowned Sparrow was discovered along the trip.  I arrived in Cottonwood Canyon after dark.  One Western Screech-Owl called at the camping area near Carrizo Creek & CR J.

November 26

High temperature reached 42 degrees on this windy day.  Winds were 20-21 mph with gusts to 40 mph.  Many birds were found in spite of the winds.

Most of the day was spent hiking around Cottonwood Canyon (Baca).  When I started birding, my first excursion was at Cottonwood Canyon.  It has provided many birding memories in the 208 days birded there.  It accounts for 109 lifebirds, at least 50 good finds and one first state record (Tufted Titmouse, 11/2/1994)!

I revisited the three routes that I would walk every day when visiting Cottonwood Canyon.  1. Camping area to bear canyon 4.5 miles round trip 2. Up the southern draw, 2.6 miles round trip & 3. Camping area west to Carrizo Mt road and draw 2.5 miles round trip.  Several days I would duplicate the hike for a total canyon mileage of 2247 over the 25 years

1. Two Rufous-crowned Sparrows moved around the rocks near the entrance of Bear Canyon.  Fourteen Wild Turkeys were spotted near there.  A good number considering I ran into several hunters who had not ran across one.  Canyon Towhees were found at several locations along the walk.  Chihuahuan Ravens roosted on the canyon walls.

2. Highlight of the visit was a Winter Wren about 60 yards up (south) the southern draw.

3. A pair each of Ladder-backed Woodpeckers, Hairy Woodpeckers and Downy Woodpeckers all found up the western draw.  It was this draw in 1994 that I heard and later tracked down a pair of Tufted Titmice!  I have seen Long-eared Owls in the evergreens here and Short-eared Owls on the top of the rocky cliffs several times over the years.

Bewick's Wrens are usually found in the evergreens along East Carrizo Creek near the camping site.  A Cooper's Hawk was just west of there.

Misses: Lewis's Woodpeckers appear to have abandoned Cottonwood Canyon several years ago.  Last reported sighting(s) were 8/20/2014.  Many of the old taller cottonwoods have fallen down.

Mississippi Kites still visit in the summer.  I have found Northern Cardinals in November and December; none was found this trip.

Another note on my Cottonwood Canyon history, Rufous-crowned Sparrows were a nemesis bird.  I search 19 days (those 10 mile hikes) before finding my first one.  I would hike the road, halfway up the cliffs and the top of the canyon without a sighting.  

The time was not a waste as many other birds (and some good finds) held my attention.  Once I found my first Rufous-crowned Sparrow, I learned just how and where to look for them.  Very seldom are they missed on my visits now.

I ended my birding day at the Upland Bird Management Area (east of Picture Canyon).  No Short-eared Owls were found this trip.  Three Lapland Longspurs were the highlight.

November 27

High temperature today was 41 degrees.  Winds were 21-22 mph with gusts to 30.  It was a pleasant day while back in Denver they were digging out of a snowstorm.

I camped at Picture Canyon (Baca) and walked to the Oklahoma border.  A Rufous-crowned Sparrow ran around the short red hillside near the parking area (camping spot).

Continuing to North Canyon, I observed a Curve-billed Thrasher hunting for food along a short cliff (five feet high is probably not worthy of "cliff").

Later I drove to Sand Canyon and spent a couple of hours exploring.  A Northern Mockingbird was the highlight there.

Then I took the eastern route to the Lake Dorothey Wildlife Area (Las Animas).  A Swamp Sparrow popped out of thickets near the parking area.  Just a few hundred yards up the hill (north), a Juniper Titmouse also came into view.

At dusk I set up my two "owl listening stations" and stayed for several hours listening for owls.  One Northern Saw-whet Owl was found north of the pond.

My trip needed to end as additional snow was predicted for the next day.

No comments: