Saturday, November 30, 2019

Return to Arapahoe County

November 30, 2019

Richard Stevens:

Temperatures reached 34 degrees.  Cold but it was warmer than the past few days.  Winds were measured at 14-15 mph with gusts to 21 mph.  The wind caused high waves on the Lakes.

I returned to Arapahoe County to see if some of the previously reported birds were still around.  The Common Loon was observed swimming near the mouth of Lone Tree Cove at Aurora Reservoir.  The adult Lesser Black-backed Gull stood on the shore near mile 4.5.

My next stop was Cherry Creek Reservoir.  Winds had picked up quite a bit.  I received a text message about the sighting of two Trumpeter Swans.  Unfortunately, I did not find them as I scoped the Lake four times.

Two to four Bonaparte's Gulls and the Glaucous Gull flew around the Reservoir during my stay.  Dozens of Western Grebes and some common ducks were more toward the swim beach.  

Only three American White Pelicans remained of the sixty-eight+ seen Thanksgiving Day. I did not find the Yellow-billed Loon, however it could have been hidden by the high waves.

On the way home, I stopped at the apartments south of the horse corrals on 56th avenue.  High winds bent the tall grasses back and forth.  I relocated several of the Song Sparrows, however did not see the Harris's Sparrow Rebecca and I found on Thanksgiving.

No Short-eared Owls were observed this evening as I parked at 88th avenue and the Toll Road Bridge.

No comments: