Friday, November 1, 2019

Arapahoe County: Goldsmith Gulch Trail & Cherry Creek Reservoir


November 1, 2019

High temperature was only 34 degrees today.  Winds were 8-9 mph with gusts to 12 mph.

While taking care of appointments at the Denver Tech Center I realized that nearby Crescent Park (Belleview & DTC Parkway) has a Winter Wren (2017) and Swamp Sparrow (2018) on its checklist.

Unfortunately, nothing uncommon flew around the pond and creek at Crescent Park today.  I walked across the street, headed up Goldsmith Gulch Trail continuing to Orchard Road, and turned back to Belleview Avenue.  It has been awhile since I birded in a suit and dress shoes; therefore I could not get close to the stream.

The Hackberry bushes along the trail had many berries but no birds.  A Swamp Sparrow popped out of the cattails about 300 yards south of Belleview. 

Later I searched for swans on Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe).  Swans seem to be everywhere the last two days, none here however.  I only had 8x21 binoculars and could not see small birds such as the Red-necked Grebe.

No Short-eared Owl found along the DIA Owl Loop, perhaps tomorrow?

No comments: