Thursday, March 7, 2019

Walking the Highline Canal In Arapahoe County

March 7, 2019

Richard Stevens:

Our first Grouse Trip of 2019 is still delayed.  Predictions of snowstorms with 2-4 inches accumulation in the Walden and Craig areas does not fair well for driving up there.  Loveland Pass was closed today and probably tomorrow because of avalanches.

High temperature was 51 degrees today.  Winds were 5-6 mph with gusts to 16 mph.  

Today was an Eastern Screech-Owl Day.  Five Screech Owls in all were found.  Three other locations were misses (DeKoevand Park, Marjorie Perry Nature Preserve and a private yard in Denver.  I should note that all owls were staked out (previous sightings).

My day started by finding the resident Eastern Screech-Owl at Ketring Park (Arapahoe).  Then I walked the highline canal from E. Belleview to S. Colorado Blvd, and then took buses back to my car.

Three other Highline Canal sightings (all Arapahoe County) were the Quincy Wildlife Area, Dahlia Tennis Courts and Dahlia Hollow Park.  The fourth owl was observed when I visited a friend who lives near Washington Park (Denver).

Passerines were few today.  The highlight was my first Hermit Thrush of 2019.  It was seen as I tried to photograph a Spotted Towhee in the Dahlia Hollow Park Willow Grove east of the Beaver statue.

No comments: