Saturday, March 2, 2019

A Brief Stop at Cherry Creek Reservoir

March 2, 2019

Richard Stevens:

Before the snowstorm, I went to Walmart and purchased a Black and Decker leaf blower/vacuum ($45).  There was a good 4-5 inches of empty sunflower shells under our feeders.  The vacuum sucked them all up and solved our messy problem!

On the way home, I made a brief detour over to Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe).  The female type Rusty Blackbird was again along the western stream that flows into Augie's Pond (northwest of the swim beach).  The other Rusty Blackbird was not relocated.

No owls (Barn or Long-eared) were found along the shooting range entrance road this afternoon.  It did start to snow rapidly at 5:00 pm.

To address another problem we had, a birder I met along the High Line Canal last month solved it.  Squirrels continually would climb up the eight foot poles holding up our bird feeders.  I spent hours chasing them down over the years.  

She suggested putting a toy slinky around the pole, hanging it from the feeder.  Squirrels unsuccessfully attempted climbing the poles several times and have not tried since.  If I knew the birder's name, I would offer her great thanks!  $3 at Walmart gave my sanity back!

No comments: