Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Rocky Mountain Arsenal and the First Creek Trail

March 17, 2019

Richard Stevens:

High temperature reached 49 degrees.  Winds were 8-9 mph with gusts to 16 mph.

I did not make it as far west of 89th avenue Lake (Adams County) but was close.  The Red-throated Loon was not found yesterday by me so skipped the lake today.

Instead, I went to Rocky Mountain Arsenal.  Scoped Lake Ladora for over an hour, I could not find a Surf Scoter among the dozens of female Redhead Ducks and Ruddy Ducks.  The adult Lesser Black-backed Gull was along the eastern side.

A check of Lower Derby Lake found no uncommon birds.  Missed my target birds during a drive around the Wildlife Loop, no Burrowing Owls, Red-headed Woodpeckers or Eastern Phoebes were found today.

Later I walked the First Creek Trail from the Light Rail Tracks to the 56th avenue Bridge.  There was no sign of the Rusty Blackbirds for the second day in a row.  Perhaps they moved on during last week's blizzard?

No Short-eared Owls or Burrowing Owls were found along the DIA Owl Loop (Adams/Denver) this evening.

No comments: