Thursday, November 15, 2018

Trip to Wray and Bonny Reservoir Wildlife Area (Yuma County)

November 13, 2018

Richard Stevens:

Terry Michaels and I headed to Wray, CO.  I wanted to be at an interesting location or at least out of Denver when reaching a milestone in my birding.

High temperature in Wray was 51 degrees on this pleasant day.  Winds were 5-6 mph with gusts only measured at 8 mph.

Best bird at Wray Fishing Unit outside of Wray was a red Fox Sparrow. A Marsh Wren popped out of the cattails at the eastern end of the Wray Fishing Unit (Yuma CR FF).  A late House Wren was around Stalker Pond.

A Yellow-bellied Sapsucker flew around Wray Community Hospital. One found each fall/winter since 2012!

Other birds found at various private yards: 
private yard #1: pair of Northern Cardinals
private yard #2: Varied Thrush &White-throated Sparrow 
private yard #4: Northern Cardinal & red Fox Sparrow  

A drive around the county roads north of Wray around sunset did not find any Greater Prairie-Chickens or Short-eared Owls this trip.

The MILESTONE:  After visiting Wray Fishing Unit, Terry and I stopped near Wray City Park, and broke out a couple of cans of Dr. Pepper to celebrate.  I reached my one millionth  mile birding/driving IN Colorado.

This was after 26 years, wearing out five personal cars and 271 rental cars!

I have kept track of hours birding and distance hiked at each birding location.  Terry suggests that I post that, perhaps later.

Terry also asked what the most missed adventure was to date.  After climbing the fifty-four 14,000+ feet mountains and thirty or so "lesser" mountains, I wanted to hike the Colorado perimeter border (1320 miles) planned for 1998.  

I had arranged for a TV station and others to drop supplies and had collected donations for charity.  Obviously, I had to cross some private lands and could not contact each landowner personally.  I asked then governor of Colorado Roy Romer's office for some type of pass explaining my pursuit.  They refused stating that it would set a precedent that could cause future problems.  Pass denied, end of that quest.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's amazing, keep going!
Dave King