Thursday, November 1, 2018

Cherry Creek Reservoir & Crescent Park

November 1, 2018

Richard Stevens:

High temperature on this pleasant fall day was 52 degrees.  Winds were 7-8 mph in the afternoon.

After morning chores, I headed to Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe) to search for the Rusty Blackbirds reported yesterday by Edward Donnan.  Not knowing the exact location, many stops were made.

Nothing was found off Pelican Point.  The mudflats at the Prairie Loop (bird platform area) had no uncommon birds, no Rusty Blackbirds.

I enjoyed better success by walking east from the southeast end of the Lake Loop.  The two Rusty Blackbirds were walking the mudflats east of the sandy beach!

My final stop was the sand spit at Pelican Bay.  The Mew Gull was not there today.  Several Bonaparte's Gulls dove for food just off shore.

I then continued to Crescent Park (approximately a mile southeast of the Park).  The Swamp Sparrow reported earlier today was not found.

I hiked the goldsmith gulch trail through GM Wallace Park.  The Park hosts over a mile long series of cattail fields.  While a likely location for a Winter Wren or Swamp Sparrow, none was found today.

My birding day ended while I parked along a high point of the DIA Owl Loop (Adams/Denver).  No Short-eared Owls appeared tonight.

No comments: