Monday, August 20, 2018

Barr Lake to Cherry Creek Reservoir State Parks to Rocky Mountain Arsenal

August 17, 2018

Richard Stevens:

High temperature was 88 degrees.  Winds were 5-6 mph with gusts to 12 mph.

After Terry Michaels dropped me off at my house, drove over to Barr Lake (Adams) to stretch my legs.  I scoped about six miles of the shore and only found 34 Baird's Sandpipers (off Niedrach boardwalk) and two Killdeer off the banding station sand spit.

Other birds in the woods included a male Black-headed Grosbeak, two House Wrens, two Lark Sparrows and three Ospreys.

Then I drove south to Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe) and photographed the Mew Gull standing on the sandy shore at the Cherry Creek dam trailhead.

A search for the reported two Carolina Wrens along the Wetlands Loop trail came up empty.  I did phished up four House Wrens that stood on a downed cottonwood where Cherry Creek goes under the trail.

It started to rain about 5:00pm and I left.  Then I picked up Rebecca and we drove through the Rocky Mountain Arsenal on our way to dinner.

The reported Willets were not found at the ponds around mile 9 of the wildlife drive.  We did see three Solitary Sandpipers, four Stilt Sandpipers, nine Wilson's Phalaropes, one Black-necked Stilt and one Ibis too far away to ID (most likely a White-faced Ibis).

Missed Burrowing Owl, Red-headed Woodpecker and Sage Thrashers, we did count four Eastern Kingbirds, three Western Kingbirds and a Ferruginous Hawk.

No comments: