Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Search for Shorebirds In Weld County

August 4, 2017

Richard Stevens:

On this superb summer day I drove up to Weld County.  I had planned to go to Pawnee National Grasslands and search for Mountain Plovers, etc.  Highway construction slowed my drive too much and I birded around the Lower Latham Reservoir area instead.  The wetlands south of Latham were dry in spite of the many afternoon rain storms lately.

A Pectoral Sandpiper, six Baird's Sandpipers and a few Killdeer walked around the Beebe Draw Pond at Weld CR 40.  Dickcissels were found: one along CR 42, 0.1 miles east of CR 43 and another along CR 40, east of CR 43.  The fields which hosted more than half a dozen seven days ago were now cut.

Loloff Reservoir had another Pectoral Sandpiper, fourteen White-faced Ibis, six Baird's Sandpipers and four Black-necked Stilts.  I could not pick out a Glossy Ibis among the White-faced.  Had to be at a barbecue back home and I cut my birding day short.

No comments: