Thursday, August 31, 2017

Good Birding Trip to Barr Lake

August 27, 2017

Richard Stevens:

After hearing about the numerous bird sightings at Barr Lake (Adams), I headed over there in the afternoon.  Skies were partly sunny; temperatures were in the low 90s.

A Black-and-white Warbler was along the main trail at mile 8.9. I thought that the many birds reported were near the banding station.  That turned out not to be accurate (later the bird bander reported few birds banded).  I found no birds around the banding station willows.

I continued north along the main trail.  When I reached the trees at mile 8.3, the woods were filled with bird sounds.  I stood there for the next hour trying to identify the birds which stayed high up in the cottonwoods.

Eventually I would observe the Philadelphia Vireo, a Cassin's Vireo, Wilson's Warbler, one Townsend's Warbler, two Red-breasted Nuthatches, Downy & Hairy Woodpeckers, two Western Wood-pewees and a Western Kingbird.

Misses included the reported American Redstart and Least Flycatcher.  I continued to the boat ramp at mile 7.5.  Additional birds included two House Wrens and a pair of Eastern Kingbirds.

Just before sunset I drove, the now opened DIA Owl Loop (Adams/Denver).  One Burrowing Owl stood on a prairie dog mound at Third Creek and West Cargo Road.  No Short-eared Owls appeared this evening.

No comments: