Sunday, August 20, 2017

Chase For a Little Blue Heron


August 18, 2017

Richard Stevens:

In the afternoon, Terry Michaels and I drove up to Walden Ponds (Boulder).  It was hot with temperatures in the middle 90s.  I believe I heard on the news that a new record high was set for the day.

No Little Blue Heron was at the Cottonwood Marsh.  Terry walked the Sawhill Ponds while I walked several miles at Walden Ponds.  No phoebes were encountered along Boulder Creek from Walden Ponds to 75th Street.  Snowy Egrets were scattered at both Walden Ponds and Sawhill Ponds.

Finally, I found the reported "Little Blue Heron" along the north side of the Ricky Weisner Wetlands.  I was standing at the southern end at the time, radioed Terry and we rushed back to the northern side.  By the time we arrived, the "white heron" had flown back to the east.

I took photos but was quite far from the bird.  Through binoculars, Terry thought something seemed off about the bird.  Leg color a little too dark?  When it flew, the underwings were quite white.  However, compensating for the shade due to the overhead sunlight, we could not be sure. 

I did take a couple of photos of the bird in flight.  However, I have not had time or energy to look at them yet.  Little Blue Herons show black tips to underwing.

Few birds were moving about in the heat.  A Western Wood-pewee continually called from the west side of Duck Lake.  A Least Sandpiper walked the shore at Cottonwood Marsh.

No comments: