Monday, May 29, 2017

Birding In Denver and Adams Counties

May 27, 2017

Richard Stevens:

At sunrise, I entered the Bluff Lake Nature Area (Denver) to search for the Worm-eating Warbler reported yesterday.  By the way, as I guessed, the gate was not open as stated at sunrise.  Instead, I parked on the west side of the Park and walked in through the open fence.

My plan was to do just that as the Worm-eating Warbler had been reported in the southwest corner of the property.  In addition, my broken toe was not keen on making a long hike.

I watched over the southwest corner of the lake/park for about half an hour.  No warblers were observed or heard.  Plenty of Red-winged Blackbirds were singing and Mourning Doves flying around.  Many Red-necked Phalaropes are presently reported around Colorado; none was on Bluff Lake.

Walking up the west side of the lake, I hoped the warbler had wandered north during the night.  However, it was never found.  A pair of Yellow Warblers flew around catching bugs in the cottonwoods (just west of the western bench high up on the hill).

Having made it that far, I decided to continue around the lake.  My toe did not start to complain until more or less half way around (and too late).

A Northern Waterthrush was heard below the northern trail where the only willow is hanging over the trail.  It took a good twenty minutes before I obtained respectable looks at the skulking bird. 

A thrush in the same area also gave me fits.  First glances indicated that it was not a Swainson's Thrush.  It took another twenty minutes or so to see enough of the bird to rule out a Gray-cheeked Thrush; it was a Hermit Thrush.

A Warbling Vireo moved about the cottonwoods on the eastern side of the lake.  A Lincoln's Sparrow and several Common Yellowthroats popped in and out of the willows.

A Western Wood-pewee hawked insects back at the southern side of the lake and the small retention pond.  I briefly thought the song of a Worm-eating Warbler was heard in the woods north of the retention pond.  However, I would not record or report that it was there.

If anyone came and looked for the warbler later, I heard no report that is was found.

My walking was done for the day; I was glad to get back at my car! 

In the afternoon, a drive east of DIA Airport did not add any interesting birds to my day list.  I did search for returning flycatchers and Red-headed Woodpeckers at last year's sites along Box Elder Creek at 96th & 104th avenues.

No comments: