Thursday, April 20, 2017

Search For A Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

April 18, 2017

Richard Stevens:

After I had been up all night, Rebecca Kosten and I drove to Barr Lake (Adams County) to search for the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher reported yesterday.  The flycatcher was not found during out two hour search.  We carefully scoped the front of the riparian area south to the private ranch outside the Park.

I walked from the boat ramp (mile 7.8) to the Visitor's Center (mile 9.0).  Highlight was a Nashville Warbler near mile 8.4.  Credit for finding the bird goes to a person that stopped me and asked what kind of bird was in the bushes.  I am sorry not to have asked his name.

House Wrens are back in full force; the count was at least ten.  No flycatchers, vireos or additional warblers were encountered.

We also drove the roads along the eastern and northern side of Barr Lake hoping the flycatcher had flown there.  Several Great-tailed Grackles and a male Yellow-headed Blackbird were on the cattails north side of Barr Lake, west of E. 144th Avenue.

By mid morning, I was exhausted and went to get some sleep.

No comments: