Saturday, September 3, 2016

Jackson Reservoir & Prewitt Reservoir

August 31, 2016  (part 2)

Richard Stevens:

A brief stop at the Jackson Reservoir Campgrounds found a Cassin's Vireo (Pelican Campsites) and a Long-eared Owl.  Birding was slow and I continued northeast up I76.

I enjoyed the afternoon and evening walking around Prewitt Reservoir (Logan/Sedgwick Counties).

Eventually I found the Western Gull and Lesser Black-backed Gull off the Campgrounds.

Other birds relocated included 12 Semipalmated Plovers, 2 Pectoral Sandpipers, 2 Yellow-billed Cuckoos, an Eastern Phoebe, Great Crested Flycatcher, Olive-sided Flycatcher, American Redstart, Dickcissel (along entrance road), and Brown Thrasher.

Highlight was a beautiful male Blackburnian Warbler below the dam.

After dark, I continued my walk and relocated Eastern Screech-Owls below the dam and at the inlet area.

Dove hunting season starts tomorrow.  Many hunters will be around with shotguns.  Beware!

No comments: