Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Great Birding In the Rain

May 16, 2016

Richard Stevens:

The day was much colder than yesterday.  Temperatures barely reached the high 40s; winds were 6-8 mph.  Shortly after Noon, it started raining and did not stop (still raining at midnight).

I started my birding day at Barr Lake (Adams).  A walk below the dam found a Veery (mile 7.7), Common Yellowthroats, Song Sparrows, a Lincoln's Sparrow and several House Wrens.

Back at the Visitor's Center area I found a Blackpoll Warbler, Tennessee Warbler & Barn Owls (nesting boxes) between the southern end of the Niedrach Trail and the boat ramp.

At mile 3.0 (the extreme southwestern end of the Park) I found a Cassin's Vireo, many Great Blue Herons and Double-crested Cormorants.  I scoped the rookeries for 30 minutes searching for the Neotropic Cormorant, which may still be around the Park; without success.

Later I drove to Weld County and visited a friend's ranch.  Several birds that appear to be nesting include: a pair of Mountain Plover, a pair of Long-eared Owls, Yellow Warblers, Bullock's Orioles, House Wrens, Western Kingbirds, Eastern Kingbirds and Swainson's Hawks.

My birding day ended at Banner Lakes Wildlife Area (Weld).  I walked the eastern side of Ponds 4 to 1 in a downpour.  Nothing uncommon was found.

No comments: