Monday, November 10, 2014

Golden-crowned Sparrows at Red Rocks Park

November 1, 2014

Richard Stevens:

Do not have much time, I am on the way to give a bird talk.  Bryan Ehlmann and I returned this afternoon from several days birding on the eastern Colorado plains.  I dropped Bryan off and went to Red Rocks Park (Jefferson County).  The chance to see two Golden-crowned Sparrows (an adult and first winter) was too much of a draw.

I did find a juvenile White-crowned Sparrow and two Song Sparrows.  The adult Golden-crowned Sparrow did finally appear.  By the time the professional wedding photographers were done, light was poor.  I put several shots of the Golden-crowned Sparrow on the Colorado Birding Society's photo library.  They were taken at 1/15 second shutter speed and hand held.  Not the best, okay.  My birding day ended with a Great Horned Owl calling in the distance!

No comments: