Monday, November 10, 2014

A Sunday At Jackson Reservoir

November 9, 2014

Richard Stevens:

I birded most of the day a Jackson Reservoir (Morgan County).  Temperatures reached the middle 60s.  Winds were mild in the morning and calm in the afternoon.

 It was somewhat strange.  In the morning, I found the previously reported Red-throated Loon, a Pacific Loon and two Common Loons.

Then I spent a couple of hours walking around the western Campgrounds.  Eventually five Long-eared Owls were observed (may or may have a witness shot to put on the Colorado Birding Society's website, I have many photos from past visits to Jackson Reservoir and try not to disturb the Long-eared Owls by getting additional photos).

American Robins numbered at least 300.  A possible glimpse of a Varied Thrush kept my attention.  Over the next hour and a half, I tried to relocate the possible Varied Thrush, however was not successful.  The "Varied Thrush" and many Robins were between the Pelican Campgrounds and the cattail marsh to the south.

Next, I walked the dam looking unsuccessfully for the Black Scoters reported yesterday.  The strange part was that I was not able to relocate the Common Loons and Red-throated Loon found early in the morning.  They usually do not fly away in the middle of the day?  The lake is a big place; perhaps I just missed them from my vantage point?

Gulls included a Great Black-backed Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Herring Gull, California Gulls and many Ring-billed Gulls.

No comments: