Thursday, November 20, 2014

Birding Around Arapahoe County the last three days

November 13-15, 2014

Richard Stevens (email sent to cobirders listserve):

I scoped Aurora Reservoir (Arapahoe) late in the morning.  Temperatures were around 20 degrees; winds were 10+ mph.  I managed to get looks at a Lesser Black-backed Gull, Greater White-fronted Goose, Common Loon and Bonaparte's Gull.

Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe County) has been different on my last three visits.  Two days ago (11/13), I arrived late in the afternoon.  The two Swans found by Don Beltz were hidden in the heavy fog hanging over the lake.  Only a couple of Common Loons and half a dozen Bonaparte's Gulls could be identified.

Yesterday (11/14), the skies were partially sunny and the lake was clear.  Bryan Ehlmann and I found a Common Loon (Breitsch, 11/11) and GREATER SCAUP on Lower Derby Lake at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal (Adams County).  The Loon stayed close to the southwest corner and was out of view much of our visit.  Now and then, it swam north.

It was a loony afternoon when I drove over to Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe).  Skies were cloudy and winds 12+ mph.  It was a cold 31 degrees when I arrived.

Of course, I did not have my camera with me (never fails).  I stood 15 feet from a Least Sandpiper walking the sandy beach south of the western boat ramp.  I watched it for 20 minutes, as it seemed to ignore me.  I ran back to my car, found an old point and shoot camera used for digiscoping.  Two photos were added to the "recent witness link" on the Colorado Birding Society's website. 

While watching two Pacific Loons, a third loon rose to the east of the handicapped fisherperson dock.  It was a basic plumage Red-throated Loon.  The loon was too far away for photos; however, my little point and shoot did take video.  I was able to get 30 seconds of the Red-throated Loon swimming around before it started to dive often.  Video of the Pacific Loon and Common Loons were taken too.

Also on the lake, a Common Loon was off the swim beach and two additional Common Loons were in the eastern corner of the reservoir.  At least 16 Bonaparte's Gulls were flying around.

Today (11/15), anemometer readings were 16+ mph; temperatures were in the 20s (low 20s).  I could not find the Least Sandpiper.  Again heavy fog hung over the lake.  I scoped the few yards that could be seen off the shore around the reservoir.  I did see one Pacific Loon east of the northeast boat ramp.  While looking for a second, a female type Surf Scoter swam by just 10 yards off shore.

A Common Loon was again seen off the swim beach.  Bonaparte's Gull count was around fourteen.  Hundreds of Eared Grebes were below the fishing dock.  Only a couple of Western Grebes could be picked out of the mist.  Hundreds were on the lake yesterday and probably are still there.

I solve another mystery (at least to myself).  Reports of a Snow Goose or Ross's Goose the last couple of days, led to the photos added to the Colorado Birding Society's website (recent witness photos).  A Snow Goose stood around with Canada Geese near the ball fields at Greenwood Village Park (southwest of the Cherry Creek Reservoir dam).  Farther west of the ball fields, a Ross's Goose walked around with hundreds of Cackling Geese.  One of each!

I ran out of time and good weather to drive to Red Rocks Park for the Fox Sparrow and Golden-crowned Sparrows, perhaps tomorrow?

No comments: