Monday, October 27, 2014

Songbirds Anyone?

October 21, 2014

Richard Stevens:

Where have all the sparrows gone?  I purchased a new camera Sunday and have not been able to find a sparrow at Chatfield Reservoir, Cherry Creek Reservoir, Rocky Mountain Arsenal or Aurora Reservoir.

Between obligations and chores, I have managed to get a few hours of birding in the last three days.

Today, Tuesday I started at Aurora Reservoir where the adult Lesser Black-backed Gull was at the northwest corner.  Later the many gulls swam out into the middle of the lake.  No sparrows were around the few trees along the southwestern and southern sides.

Next, I stopped at Wheat Ridge Greenbelt (Jefferson).  Except for a couple of magpies and one Northern Flicker, I saw nothing for an hour.  As I lamented about how this once top five birding location in Colorado has been deserted the last decade, a bird walked across the tree bridge trail, south of the boardwalk.  At first, I thought it might be a Worm-eating Warbler; however, after longer looks it turned out to be an Ovenbird.

The Ovenbird was first west of the tree bridge trail at 20 yards south of the south end of the boardwalk.  When Richard left, it had flown to the stacked pile of cut trees on the east side of the trail.

Deserting the foothills, I decided to look for Williamson's Sapsuckers at Genesee Mountain Park (Jefferson).  My last dates for the park are 9/15, 9/16 & 10/12.  None was found today, nor any sparrows.

No comments: