Monday, October 27, 2014

New Camera

October 19, 2014

Richard Stevens:

Sunday, with new camera I stopped by Chatfield Reservoir (Jefferson/Douglas).  The Red-necked Grebe had been reported below the dam on Saturday.  As I had hoped, the many boats on the lake pushed the Red-necked Grebe in Jefferson County.  I had observed it a week ago in Douglas County.

A detour to Coors Pond added a Common Loon to my day list.  It was first found by Snyder on 10/18.

On the way home, I searched for the Burrowing Owl that had been along Picadilly Road (between 128th & 120th avenues).  I appeared to be gone; however, a Burrowing Owl was 300 yards north of 120th avenue at 0.5 miles east of Picadilly Road.

The highlight was an adult Ferruginous Hawk eating a prairie dog east of the prairie dog town at 3.4 miles east of Tower Road and 96th avenue.  Two juvenile Ferruginous Hawks stood nearby and watched.  The adult did not appear to feed the younger.  After the adult flew, the juveniles did get a few bites.

I put photos of one of the juveniles on the Recent Witness Photos link on the CoBus website.  The photo is not the best; however, my range finder stated the bird was 100 to 110 yards from me.  I do like my new camera, now if only I could find a sparrow.

No comments: