Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Long Search for Tricolored Heron, Cherry Creek Reservoir

June 14, 2014

This morning I went back and tried to look at all the water (lake, creek, ponds, puddles) that the tall weeds would allow.  The five hour search did not turn up a Tricolored Heron for me.  Much of the creek and parts of the lake are not viewable even with the bushwhacking that I did.

Concerning the Cassin's Vireo at the Prairie Loop inlet canal, I was able to watch it for a good five minutes.  Well aware that there were no June or July reports, I tried to examine the bird as long as it let me. A Plumbeous Vireo would have been more likely. 

However, there was contrast between the greenish back and gray-greenish head; a Blue-headed Vireo seemed to be more likely than a Plumbeous Vireo.  Yellow on sides of flanks also ruled out a Plumbeous Vireo.  There was not enough contrast between the head and back to call the vireo a Blue-headed Vireo.

Back to the Tricolored Heron, yesterday I commented that no Great Blue Herons were found (besides the Tricolored Heron).  On previous visits, up to a dozen or more Great Blue Herons have been around.  Again today, only one Great Blue Heron was found.  I wonder if the Tricolored Heron is somewhere with the missing Great Blue Herons?

No comments: