Tuesday, June 17, 2014

From Jefferson to Douglas Counties

June 16, 2014

Richard Stevens:

As has been the case the past few months, I have had little time to update the Trip Blog.  Today (6/17) I am giving my feet a rest (no hiking boots) and catching up on paperwork.

I enjoyed a beautiful day, although hot, of birding in Jefferson and Douglas Counties.  All but one of my target birds was found.

My morning started at Welchester Tree Park (Jefferson County).  The Blue-winged Warbler was singing when I arrived at 9:30 am.  Unfortunately, the wind picked up and finding the yellowish bird in the moving yellow green leaves became quite difficult.

Eventually, the stunning bird was found in cottonwoods along the ditch, just west of the eastern property line.  Unfortunately, it stayed high in the trees and only witness photos were shot.  I had found the bird on previous visits; again, it had stayed high in the trees.  Another birder had mentioned that it stayed in the low Russian Olive Tree near the fence line on several occasions. 

From Welchester Tree Park, I headed south to the Cheesman Reservoir area (Jefferson).  The Acorn Woodpecker and two Red-headed Woodpeckers were found as soon as I jumped out of my car near the pullover along Stony Pass Road.

The Lewis's Woodpecker took much longer to find, but finally I found one (if there were more I had not heard).

Rich Stevens relocated the Blue winged Warbler at Welchester Park.  First heard in trees along the eastern ditch, next to Russian Olive Tree.  Later seen 20 yards along ditch, in Park.

It was quite hot in Denver today (near 90 degrees), which made the decision to stay in the cooler foothills an easy one.

A circuitous route took me to Highway 67 and Rampart Range Road.  The distinctive drumming of a male American Three-toed Woodpecker was heard as I exited my vehicle.  The male was located in less than a 10 minute search.  He was just northeast of the intersection and only 15 yards into the woods. 

Both Northern Pygmy-Owls and Northern Saw-whet Owls have been recorded near this intersection.  I set up two of my "owl listening stations" (for those who have read previous posts, or see "Colorado Field Notes" for details).

Before the clock turned to the next day, I found (relocated) a Northern Pygmy-Owl.  Regrettably, no Northern Saw-whet Owls could be found.  In all, I hiked about twelve miles up and down Rampart Range Road and highway 67.  The Listening Stations did not pick up any owls this night.

No comments: