Friday, April 12, 2013

Cherry Creek Reservoir, Pawnee National Grasslands and DIA Owl Loop

April 11, 2013

Richard Stevens:

At first light, I was again at Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe County).  The Glaucous Gull and two Lesser Black-backed Gulls were on the eastern sand spit.  Yesterday's Bonaparte's Gulls were not relocated.  I again missed the Iceland Gull and Common Loon.

Jerry Petrosky and I drove up to Pawnee National Grasslands area (Weld).  We found only two McCown's Longspurs and no Chestnut-collared Longspurs. 

Two Mountain Plovers were also relocated.  One is on a nesting site, which will remain unnamed.  The other was near public access.  However, until my tour group sees them next week, I prefer not revealing the location.

Back in Denver, I returned to Cherry Creek Reservoir.  This time the Common Loon in alternate plumage was swimming 20 feet off shore at the picnic area just east of the swim beach.

Glaucous and Lesser Black-backed Gulls were relocated.  I did not scope the many gulls to find the Iceland Gull.

I drove the DIA Owl Loop (Adams) on my way home.  Five Burrowing Owls were scattered over four Locations.  The Short-eared Owl did not appear this evening.

No comments: