Saturday, February 2, 2013

South Platte River Birding, Adams County

February 2, 2013

Richard Stevens:

Bryan & Sue Ehlmann, Rebecca Kosten and I walked sections of the South Platte River (Adams County) on this fine winter day.  Winds were much milder than yesterday at 8-10 mph, gusts only to 14 mph.  Temperatures must have been close to 60 degrees.

They dropped me off at the Water Treatment Plant at the S. Platte & York (south of I270), then drove to Highway 224 and the Platte River.  We walked toward each other and met south of I76.

Eventually we all observed a male Rusty Blackbird near the footbridge north of the I76 Highway Bridge.  Another two males and a female were along the south shore of Engineer Lake (east of the footbridge).

Some one emailed (directly or a forwarded email to me) about whether any Brewer's Blackbirds were being found along the S. Platte.  At approximately halfway between the I76 and I270 Highway Bridges, we found a flock of 8 Brewer's Blackbirds along the Platte River.  Eventually they flew to the eastern fence of Barrington Reservoir # 5 and then over to the west side of the Reservoir.

They also found a Wilson's Snipe below the footbridge south of I270.  I found a Yellow-rumped Warbler between the Platte River and Engineer Lake.

When I reached Highway 224, I drove around and picked them up at the Water Treatment Plant.  Then Bryan and I walked south from Colorado Blvd and 88th Avenue (South Platte Birding Area) to the green/white tower approximately 0.5 miles south of the parking area.  A male and two female Barrow's Goldeneyes were just south of the tower.  East Gravel Lake and West Gravel Lakes were not scoped today.

Our birding day ended first with a 20 minute search for the Eastern Towhee along 160th Avenue and then a drive farther east in search of Snowy Owls.  Neither of those birds was found.

No comments: