Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wednesday Birding Around Douglas, Jefferson & Adams Counties

January 18, 2012

Richard Stevens:

This morning, Robin Quintanilla, Mark Talbott and I went out searching for Three-toed Woodpeckers and Owls. My last few trips before sunrise in search of Northern Pygmy-Owls were not successful. Therefore, today we tried for them later in the morning.

Our first stop was Highway 67 and Rampart Range Road (Douglas County). A male American Three-toed Woodpecker was within 15 feet of Highway 67 at 20 yards east of Rampart Road.

We continued on to Reynolds Park (Jefferson). It was too icy to hike up to the intersections of Oxen Draw, Raven's Roost and Eagle's View (a good location for Three-toed Woodpeckers).

An hour hike along the Songbird Trail (between Reynolds's two parking areas) did not find a Northern Pygmy-Owl. We did see Dusky Grouse tracks; however, no birds.

On to Pine Valley Ranch Park (Jefferson), we walked up to the intersection of Buck Gulch and Strawberry Jack Trails. No Northern Pygmy-Owls were found. Then we tried along the Narrow Gauge Trail to the closed gate; again no Pygmy Owls.

We stopped at Red Rocks Park (Jefferson). The Golden-crowned Sparrow appeared within 15 minutes.

After dropping off Robin and Mark at their motel, I stopped at Star K Ranch Open Space (Arapahoe) on my way home. Sparrows have been scarce here this winter. Only a couple of Dark-eyed Juncos and two Song Sparrows were encountered on my trip around the park.

As I was leaving, I decided to check the feeders, which in the past have only produced sightings of Dark-eyed Juncos, House Finches and House Sparrow. I wondered why an uncommon bird did not stop off at this nice wild area with feeders.

Surprise, a Harris's Sparrow was below the feeder closest to the parking area! About time, this must have been my 60+ visit to the park. The best bird in the past was a Northern Shrike.

No owls were found on my way home along the DIA Owl Loop (Adams). Although a white grocery bag enticed me to stop and get out my scope near 56th avenue and E470. Tens of hundreds of White-cheeked Geese were in the fields west of Picadilly Road between I70 and 56th avenue (Adams County).

No comments: