Monday, January 9, 2012

Trip Back Into The Mountains

January 6, 2012

Richard Stevens:

Today, Nancy and Jon Beard, Rebecca Kosten and I headed into the mountains to search for a few birds.

We missed White-tailed Ptarmigan on Loveland Pass (3 hour search) and then went into Dillon for lunch. Rosy Finches were found at mountain feeders. We missed Pine Grosbeaks, which appear to be uncommon this winter (I have now missed them on three consecutive trips).

Eighteen Barrow's Goldeneyes were swimming around on the Blue River Water Treatment Plant (Summit County).

Then we returned to Loveland Pass by way of Keystone (again not finding any Pine Grosbeaks). First, Jon and I hiked up the western side of the Summit. A most strenuous hike, I had mentioned a few weeks ago that I would never attempt it again (however, we did find ptarmigan up there on that trip). Today we were not so fortunate; no ptarmigan.

As the sun started to set, I climbed down the western side of the summit. Two Ptarmigan were hunkered underneath an evergreen tree, not 30 yards from the highway. With a little maneuvering, my companions were able to see the birds!

We continued up through Kremmling to Walden. Jon and I went forward to Cameron Pass (Jackson) to search for Boreal Owls. It was another snowy night on the pass. Strange looking to see clear skies and stars above the falling snow, eerie and picturesque.

As happens often on such nights, the forest was rather quiet. Well, except for the chattering of birds (Pine Siskins, Finches and what we thought was a Pine Grosbeak).

Eventually Jon and I heard two Boreal Owls call briefly. This in itself was strange. I usually have no success in locating Boreal Owls during a snowstorm. It was after midnight before our successful adventure!

No comments: