Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Short Owling Trip

January 15, 2012

Richard Stevens:

Shortly after midnight, I drove toward Penrose and stopped at Beaver Creek Wildlife Area (Fremont County). I managed to get a Northern Pygmy-Owl to respond to my recordings (first parking area).

Roads were icy and slick which made my decision to deter from continuing to Phantom Canyon easy. The high walls of the canyon surely would have prevented the snow and ice from melting on the canyon road.

Instead, I backtracked to Aiken Canyon where birds were scarce. I wanted to stop at Turkey Creek Ranch, however was not sure if there was access on Sundays, so drove on by.

I wandered around the new Red Rock Canyon Open Space (El Paso) searching for the Northern Pygmy-Owl reported there a week or so ago; without success.

An attempt to get to Green Mountain Falls was stopped by icy roads. It has been a few years since anyone has reported Band-tailed Pigeons wintering there.

My birding day ended back on my stomping grounds, DIA Owl Loop. No Short-eared Owls came out this evening.

No comments: