Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Search for Cherry Creek Reservoir Neotropic Cormorant

April 10, 2011

Richard Stevens:

After a successful 6 day grouse trip (19 of 22 target birds), I dropped Dennis Kirkwood, Tom Congersky and Volney Ford at the airport and went to Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe County).

The Neotropic Cormorant was in the southeast corner along with 3 Double-crested Cormorants. They could only be seen from the bird observation platform at the Prairie Loop for a few minutes. I then had to hike to the second path to the east and go north through the cattails to the lake. They stayed in the southeast corner until I departed.

At least one Bonaparte's Gull was among Franklin's Gulls, Ring-billed Gulls and California Gulls. I possible Lesser Black-backed Gull did not give me a long enough view to be sure. Upon further review with my bird books, it was definitely a Lesser Black-backed Gull.

No comments: